Sunday, February 7, 2016

I Don’t Want To Say Goodbye!

Yikes! I never did post my part II... and now another topic is captivating my thoughts.

Two years ago we moved into a wonderful house, into an even better neighborhood, and near an even greater church. Due to my husband’s job being two states away, we are leaving to join him. We spent months praying for a door here, but God has led us elsewhere. What a difficult move! We don’t want to say goodbye to our church!

What? Many people ponder leaving their church for one reason or another. Did our family find the perfect church? No, but we went with the right attitudes. Church is about worshiping God and communing with the body. Together we selected where to worship after praying for the church God had for our family. It was not quite the music style, size, or ‘programs’ we were looking for, but we all knew God led us to Flat Rock Baptist. We were excited to get to know our new family.

That’s right. To us, every body of believers is family. These brothers and sisters would not be like any we had met before, nor should we expect them to be. Everyone is unique and created for a different road that sometimes intertwines. We are extremely blessed our road brought us to Youngsville, NC. We are all called to love with Christ’s love, to forgive again and again, and to allow the fruit of the Spirit to mature within us. Paul also warns us against quarreling among each other. My desire is to be God’s vessel in these areas and in any other way He chooses to use me. I am not perfect. I fail. I put my foot in my mouth. But our God is always there to help me up and continue.

“Well, easy for you,” you might assume, “You haven’t experienced what I have. You haven’t been wounded.”

Yes, I have. My family has. My injuries (although likely different from yours) have withdrawn me into a shell before, protecting myself from others. Then the best thing happen to me, God allowed me to be alone and without – except for Him. (This looks different for different people). I clung to Him and grew, and continue to grow. I don’t want to spend my life focused on me, or on trials – no matter how big or small. I want to emulate my Father, and be His light, vessel for others. I went into Flat Rock with my family and with that attitude. God opened my heart bigger than I knew possible. I fell in love.

I discovered that when our focus is in the right place, the same circumstances have a different perspective. I previously mentioned Flat Rock wasn’t exactly what we were looking for, although we knew God planted us there. I was wrong. It is perfect – it is family. We love the music style, size, and any ‘events’ that come along. Sure, mistakes are made - people are human; but they are family and we forgive and grow. We cry together and laugh together. That is what family does. If we run when there are issues (instead of pulling together in prayer and love), we will miss out on the benefits of restoration and growth.

This Sunday is probably our last before moving.  It aches to go to church and see many brothers and sisters that are a huge part of our heart and prayer life. This move seems premature for our family, but inevitable. I will continue to love and pray for my Flat Rock family, and look forward to seeing them in heaven, if not before. We have been blessed more than imaginable. I hope our family has been even a fraction of a blessing for them.  I am humbled.

Soon, we’ll be looking for a new church and meet more family. They will not be Flat Rock, but they will be special. 

I don’t want to leave my church, but I trust the road on which God leads our family. (Do you want to leave your church? If so, check to see where your focus has been planted. I challenge you to be who God created you to be – regardless of others – before you make any decisions. You may be incredibly blessed.)

Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ Matthew 22:37-38

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.  Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other. Galatians 5:22-27


Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters.  Romans 14:1  Keep reminding God’s people of these things. Warn them before God against quarreling about words; it is of no value, and only ruins those who listen. Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly… Flee the evil desires of youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must , able to teach, not resentful.  2 Timothy 2:14-16, 22-24

                                                                                                            ~ Jenny ~

2 comments:

Tim D said...

This is a great insight into how GOD put us in HIS neighborhood, lead us to the church that fit our family and their family and had all of open to becoming part of such a great family. Thank You GOD!!!!!

Jenny said...

So true! We've been so blessed. It was very difficult saying goodbyes tonight, but it will be good for us to be together again!