Friday, October 30, 2015

Content in the Storm - Part I

Just today, I was happily dancing with my cart and donning the biggest smile while leaving Harris Teeter (and saving over $100!). One would never speculate the circumstances around me. Currently in the midst of a storm, I realized I was completely content! First, let me back track.

My new razor - so blessed!!!
My life changed (maybe I’m being dramatic) this morning. We have been tremendously blessed for months. People have filled our freezer, have given us groceries, and have brought us wonderful meals. But the other day when the boys and I came home from visiting Tim, someone had blessed us with razors! You might think that sounds crazy, but for me it was amazing! I didn't realize how much until this morning. In fact, I thought, “Razors? Hmmm…” But then this morning, for the first time since January, I used a new razor. For the last 9 months I had used one of my husband’s disposable razors.  Let me tell you- it is not the same as a girl’s razor. This morning, as I took my shower, I brought in with me one of these new disposable razors. I had the closest, smoothest shave that I can remember! I felt like a new woman! I just had to celebrate!

Oh, yeah, baby! And under $2!!!
One lucky gal!
After months of making frugal and sacrificial purchases, I bought something for me - lettuce! Not that nasty pale iceberg lettuce (Sorry, Tim, I know you like your wedge salads), but the savory, delicious dark green leaf lettuce. Yes, I splurged a whopping $1.99! Oh, yeah, and then I caved on another item! A while back, I failed to replenish the cream for my coffee. I do believe I was almost beginning to enjoy black coffee. Then I visited my husband. Tim spoiled me – half & half!!! Oh, wow! It’s amazing how little turns my morning drink into a rich, creamy, satisfying dessert.




Now, I'm not being totally selfish. I didn't splurge only on myself with some lettuce and half & half (which one of my sons already wants to drink – it’ll be gone in no time!). Harris Teeter is known in our family for having Archie comic books. So being the selfless mother I am, I splurged on my boys too. I purchased not one, but two Archie books. I'll surprise them with one in a few days, and another one in a few weeks. Won't they just be the happiest guys ever!



Just to clarify: my contentment and joy doesn’t come from this moment of lavish spending or luxuries. Through endurance and growth of my faith and hope in Christ, I find increased joy each day.



"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do all this through him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:11-13



                                                                                                                              ~Jenny~

No comments: