Monday, April 16, 2012

Character

Who am I? Character is who I truly am. What I am when no one is looking. What I'll be remembered for.

I've been reading Like a Rock:Becoming a Person of Character by Andy Stanley. He begins with an excerpt from Stephen Convey's book The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. Imagine walking down an aisle to a casket at a funeral. When you look inside, it is yourself. Sitting, you listen to your spouse, children, a close friend, your pastor, and a neighbor remembering you. What do you want to be remembered for?

I did an exercise about what I'd want each of the above to say. Yes, that I was a good cook and baker, but also so much more. I realized I wanted to be seen as genuine, trustworthy, patient, and available. {How funny is life! As I wrote 'available', one of my sons came in to chat. Available... fingers off of the keyboard, head turned towards him, and hugs and lap 'available'. Never do I want an electronic to come before those I love.} There's more... an encourager, gentle, forgiver, great faith in all circumstances, and amazing hope. Yes, still there are more, but you get the idea.

I can't wait to dive deeper into the book and see how Stanley continues with growing in character. Personally, my thoughts turned to my thoughts. Too often my mind focuses on my fears, failures, and if you will, those 'negatives.' That could never lead to good character. It is garbage, and just like we tie up the trash and take it out nightly, these thoughts need to be surrendered and weeded out. I think of Philippians 4:8:

  Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.


I believe basic steps to the character you want begins with roots. My roots are in Christ, continually growing deeper. Know what you want to be remembered for - your character, your list. Then turn (focus) your thoughts on those things. Focus on Philippians 4:8. I truly believe what we mediate on will have an impact on our character.

No comments: